It can be found in all motorcycle or motor bike engines and matter of fact, some (DTS-i / Twin spark) engine comes with two of it. Its an electrical device which creates the spark inside the cylinder for the combustion of fuel for internal combustion engine.
What type of role does spark plug plays in our day to day life with Indian made motorcycles and motor bikes ?
- Mileage of your motor bike / motorcycle depends on quality and condition of your spark plug.
- Acceleration and top speed of your bike depends on the quality and condition of the spark plug.
- Smoothness of the engine is also dependent with spark plug. With a faulty one, one may face engine knocking (bike jerking / giving jerks like out of petrol), engine vibration and misfire.
- Engine may give starting trouble with warn out or bad condition spark plugs.
What is the spark plug in default or stock given in Indian (Bajaj / Yamaha / Hero Honda / TVS) bikes ?
Now, different bike comes with different spark plugs models as stock according to their engine design.
Stock / normal plus are,
Bajaj Bikes (Pulsar P150 / P180 / P200 DTS-i / P220 DTS-Fi / Avenger 200 / 220 DTS-i) -> Champion RG6HCC
Yamaha YZF R15 company given default / stock spark plug make and model -> NGK CR8E
Hero Honda Hunk / Karizma (ZMA) / ZMR stock or normal, default given plug ->NGK CPR8EA-9
Honda Dazzler / Unicorn normal and default company recommended spark plug -> NGK CPR8EA-9
TVS Apache RTR (160 / 180) -> Bosch twin head
How often do we need to change the spark plugs ?
The spark plug falls under wear n tear section and according to vehicle manufacturer specification and periodical maintenance chart, spark plug requires replacement at around every 10000kms mark.
What is the cost of normal spark plugs ?
- Bajaj (Pulsar / Avenger) -> (Champion) Rs. 90/-
- Yamaha R15 / Fazer -> (NGK Normal) Rs. 110/-
- Honda -> (NGK Normal) Rs. 110/-
- Hero Honda -> (NGK Normal) Rs. 110/-
- TVS RTR -> (Bosch) RS. 110/-
What are the after market options available for better spark plug ?
Many of these plugs are inter changeable. For example, we have found good results in terms of mileage and performance by using Bosch twin head plugs in Hero Honda Hunk / Honda Unicorn and even in lower CC pulsar range (150cc / 180cc).
Where as we have seen and observed the reduce of vibration by upto 30/40% when using NGK Iridium IX spark plugs in TVS RTR 180 or 160.
We have seen P220 and R15 returning exceptional mileage figures and smoother ride when using NGK Iridium IX sparks plugs in high speed highway cruising in longer runs. For example, in a 600kms test run in GQ standard roads, while maintaining 85 arvg speed, in double, P220 and R15 have given 43+kmpl mileage, compare to a bike running stock, returned around 37kmpl figure.
The better aftermarket products, like “NGK Iridium IX” plugs are known to last 3 times longer than normal ones however they come with a price tag of Rs. 550/- each.
These aftermarket plugs helps with a continuous high temperature and stable sparking compare to the stock default given plugs.
If you consider replacement of your spark plug with after market options, then make sure you are done with your running in phase before placing your spark plugs. Best time for after market product for modification is after first 3000kms of your bike is over.
The article is applicable to almost all performance based Indian bikes, namely,
- TVS Apache RTR 160 / 180
- Bajaj Pulsar P-180 / P200 / P220 DTSi / Avenger 200 / Avy 220 DTSi
- Yamaha YZF-R15 / Fazer / FZ-16 / FZ-S
- Hero Honda Karizma (ZMA) / ZMR / Hunk
- Honda Dazzler / Unicorn
You may also read, Test -> NGK Iridium on HH ZMA-R