The handle bar or steering bearing / cone set or rather the ball racer is present in all of our motorcycle and bikes. This bearing and cone set is responsible for smooth steering / handle movement thus contributing to the overall handling of the bike.
However the bearings need periodical greasing and may need replacement if faulty.
How to locate or identify a faulty steering / handle bar bearing or ball racer / cone set ?
Most prominent syntom of a problematic cone set or ball racer bearing would the hard feeling of jammed steering / handle bar movement and sound (khat / kat) from the handle bar joints when hitting the front disc break hard or hitting a pothole in bad road. You may feel that something is lose in the handle bar setup of the bike.
Secondly when you open up the handle bar for periodical maintenance and greasing / lubrication, compare your ball racer with a new one of faulty one to figure out, if you need a replacement or not.
This article is applicable for most of our Indian bikes, namely,
- Bajaj Pulsar (P220 DTS-Fi / P200 / P180 / P150 DTS-i)
- Bajaj Avenger 200 / 220 DTS-i
- TVS Apache RTR 160 / 180
- Yamaha YZF-R15 / FZ-16 / Fazer
- Hero Honda Hunk / eXtreme / CBZ / Karizma (ZMA) / ZMR
- Honda Unicorn / Dazzler
You may also like to read,
- Handle bar / steering bearing / ball racer lubrication or greasing and replacement process for Bajaj Pulsar (P220s /P180 / P200) series
- Handle bar or ball racer greasing and overhaul of Yamaha YZF-R15.