Irrespective of what motorcycle / bike you own, now days most of the bikes are equipped with hydraulic disc brakes for better performance and low maintenance. In-fact now days, many Indian bikes (motorcycles) are coming with disc as standard in both front and rear.
The primary consumable part of a hydraulic disc brake system is the brake pads which helps to stop the wheel. Read more about the mechanism
Every motorcycle vendor provides a manual for their periodical maintenance and they recommend to check disc pads for wear and tear to replace them when needed. But what exactly do you need to check to understand whether your bike’s disc pads require replacement ? Since usually for certain bikes Yamaha or HH ZMA or ZMR, disc pads are pretty costly, so to push in sell, sometime service center may force you to change the pads even if that’s not required. Where as on other hand, if you don’t replace them on time, you may lose braking ability thus causing serious accident.
How to understand when do you require a disc pad change ?
Above is a picture to compare between two disc pads, one which requires change and another which is new and workable !! Please notice the decrease of brake pad action surface and that is a very good indication towards a change.
How long does a break pad lasts ?
Its a very subjective question and totally depends on the usage of your. Generally, 8000 to 10000 kms are the time frame when usually the disc pads may need to be changed.
What is the cost of Yamaha R15 disc pad / break shoe ?
- Front disc pad – Rs. 468/-
- Rear disc pad – Rs. 690/-
What is the cost of Yamaha SZ / FZ 16 series disc pads / break shoe (front) ?
- Front Break Pad kit -> Rs. 145/-
What is the cost of Bajaj Pulsar break disc pad ?
- Front Disc pad -> Rs. 140/-
- Rear Disc Pad -> Rs. 205/- ( 200 NS)
What is the cost of TVS Apache (160 / 180) RTR disc pads ?
- Front Disc pad -> Rs. 360/-
- Rear Disc Pad -> Rs. 365/-
What is the cost of Hero MotoCorp Disc pads ?
- Hero MotoCorp Hunk / eXtreme Front Disc Pads -> Rs. 250/-Do you know, RTR 180 disc pads are direct fit to ZMA / ZMR ?
- Hero MotoCorp Hunk / eXtreme Rear Disc Pads -> Rs. 350/-
- Hero ZMR / ZMA (Karizma) Front Disc Pads -> Rs. 1182/-
- Hero MotoCorp ZMR rear disk pad -> Rs. 1082/-
What is the price of Honda (HMSI) disc pads ?
- Honda CBR 250R (C-ABS) Front Disc Pads -> Rs. 1750/-Do you know, Bajaj Pulsar 220 DTS-i bybre based caliper disc pads are direct fit to Honda CBR 250R ? They cost Rs. 200/-
- Honda CBR 250R (C-ABS) Rear Disc Pads -> Rs. 1650/-
- Honda CBR 250R (C-ABS) Front Disc Pads -> Rs. 634/-
- Honda CBR 250R (C-ABS) Rear Disc Pads -> Rs. 598/-
Don’t be too late in changing your disc pads.
As you can see the prices of the parts, few of them are quite cheap, so don’t be too late to change these pads. You can notice in the given picture, if the pads are over used, they would certainly damage your disc plate. If the disc plate is damaged, changing it can be quite costly.